Jinx Wig Tutorial


Jinx Wig

A lot of people asked how I did my Jinx wig, so here's a brief tutorial. Too bad I didn't take any in-progress pictures...d'oh! Oh well.


  • Wig (pre-parted or not)
  • Wig head, padded to the same size as your head if needed
  • Extension hair (if using a non-parted wig)
  • Scissors
  • Styrofoam cones
  • Felt
  • Curved needle & thread
  • Hairspray
  • Silicone Caulk
  • Hot Glue

My first experience with putting up hair in big horns was with Windy, and I learned the hard way that sewing to your wig makes it tighter; it barely fit over my hair and was very tight and painful. With this in mind, the first thing I did was to pad my wig head with newspaper and duct tape until it was approximately the size of my head when my hair is pinned up. If you have short hair you may not need to do this, but do remember that most wig heads are smaller than the average person's head.

I started with a mid-length pink wig with bangs. Since the hair was going to be pulled into two 'horns', the back part needed to be addressed first. If you start with a pre-parted wig like this one, you can skip this step.

I couldn't find any straight pink extension hair locally, so got the kinky Kanekalon Jumbo Braid stuff and straightened it. To straighten the Jumbo Braids (it took two of them) I had to dip them in boiling water; hot tap water didn't do a thing, and neither did steaming. This resulted in some heat damage and frizzing near the ends, but since the hair was going to be all caulked and sprayed stiff in the end it didn't need to be super smooth.

I used Katie Bair's "Parting for Ponytails" method, minus a heat sealer (didn't have one, so I just used high-temperature hotglue and mashed the ends with pliers) and minus the whole caulk-and-cover thing (didn't feel the need, as the ends weren't sharp). This took awhile; you want many many small sections of hair so that when you part them you don't see the individual extension. To top it off, the extension hair was a slightly (but noticeable) darker pink than the base wig. I addressed this later (see below).

Once the extensions were all in, I parted them and then used a hairdryer on high to get the hair to stay parted neatly.

Making the horns: I started with two styrofoam cones which I carved with an X-acto knife to create the curve of Jinx's hair. Once the shape was right, I covered the cones with pink felt so that it wouldn't show if some of the hair shifted. Then with the wig right-side out on a wig head, I pinned the foam horns in place and made sure they were straight and looked correct, pulling the base wig hair out from under them at the top so I could style it over the horns later.

I used a curved needle (these things are the best; you NEED one) to sew the felt covering the horns to the base of the wig at the top, then once they were anchored in place I began removing sections of the base wig that would be underneath the horns. You may not need to do this, but I wanted some extra base-wig hair to help blend the extensions, and sewing big things to your wig, especially at the sides and back (where wigs stretch the most) will reduce how much your wig can stretch to fit your head. Since I have a lot of hair, the wig has to stretch a lot.

Anyways, so I cut away the wefts directly underneath the horns, then continued sewing the horns to the base of the wig. Once they were both sewn on securely. I began sectioning the hair, combing it out, then laying it out over the foam horns and hairspraying it in place. Go slowly and wait for each section to dry (a hairdryer on low heat will help with this) before continuing on, or things can collapse. Be very generous with the hairspray, and make sure you have good ventilation. ^_^

Once all the hair was up in place, I began using some of that wig hair I'd removed from under the horns - I took tiny sections, put a tiny dab of hotglue at one end, and attached them unobtrusively along the part, focusing on the point where the extensions took over from the base wig in order to blend the transition. I also used some of the cut-away wefts along the front side (under the ears) where there wasn't as much coverage, carefully hotglueing individual tracks of hair along the edge of the wig to be pulled up and added to the updo. If you're working with a pre-parted wig, this may not be necessary if you have enough coverage.

Once all that was in place and sprayed some more, it was time to trim the ends to the right length (this took some careful snipping to make it look 'random' and natural) and then used a liberal application of clear silicone caulk to secure the points of the horns. Then I pinned the wraps (made from leftover dress fabric) in place, hand-sewed their seams and secured them to the wig with a couple dabs of hot-glue under their edges. Then I just hairsprayed the bangs in place.

This wig was surprisingly very comfortable (since I'd built it with extra room for my hair) and stood up to quite a few smackings as it was wider than I'd anticipated and I kept running into walls and people. The caulking is rubbery, so the horn tips are none the worse for wear for their abuse. ^_^